From OFSET Community Wiki
See the French page about Freeduc-USB
Freeduc-USB 2.0 at RMLL 2010
The second version of Freeduc-USB will be publicly delivered during the meeting RMLL 2010 in Bordeaux, from the 6th to the 11th July 2010. Do visit OFSET's booth in the association village.
A first version of Freeduc-USB has been tested during year 2010 in lycée Jean Bart, Dunkirk, France.
Features of Freeduc-USB 2.0
- a wooden case to express vital impetus and sustainability (even if we all know that most of the carbon footprint of a usb stick is not due to its case)
- OFSET's logo and a short laser-burnt phrase on the case
- 4 GB approx. of memory in order to achieve a low cost
- contents based on MicroKnoppix for very fast boot, a lightweight desktop interface, and a collection of educational software comprising at least all of OFSET's developers'products
- a short presentation of our association
- a short document about free software, its advantage for education
- a utility to clone the stick itself, to enable it to spread quickly
The software contents
Choice of the distribution
Freeduc-CD was based on Knoppix, I (Georgesk 17:57, 2 June 2010 (UTC)) suggest to make Freeduc-USB based on MicroKnoppix (Knoppix V6.0). The reasons are:
- Knoppix relies on Debian/Ubuntu, the diversity of packages maintained for those distributions is the larger available
- OFSET's website already features a non-official Debian repository, which allows us to maintain easily custom packages
- http://debian.ofset.org already features the package freeduc-usb, which makes easier many operations to prepare bootable USB keys
- MicroKnoppix boots in 30 seconds on most recent machines
- I (Georgesk 17:57, 2 June 2010 (UTC)) am used to hack with Knoppix
The set of educational packages and their customisation (enventually)
- LXDE, wich is a most lightweight, still featureful, desktop graphic environment
- Other latin software
- Etoys and DrGeo II with Pharo environment, iStoa (not ready)
- ghemical, pyacidobasic, pymecavideo, pysatellites
- wims (local server with a selection of modules)
- links to gnuedu, logilogi
- all of the selection found in Freeduc-CD 1.5 ??
Discussion about the creation of this release of Freeduc-USB
This section should be migrated in an archive when the USB stick will be released. It is intended to coordinate OFSET members'work to create Freeduc-USB 2.0
Ordering and buying the first small series of USB sticks
- informations given by Ceasar SUN
- choice of the logical size: 4GB ??
- choice of the case: slim, wooden case ?? a width of 19 mm allows to plug many USB sticks in a hub (20 mm between slots) to clone the contents quickly
- choice of the logo and other printable images/words, to be engraved with a laser. One single color is available.
Logo and words to laser-engrave
Remember that the laser can only make one modification of color in the material.
|SVG format, should be managed with Inkscape|
|PNG format (exported by inkscape)|
Should both faces of the stick be engraved?
If so, make a proposition for the logo. Hereafter are a few variations with the word "Freeduc-USB" written with different fonts, than concerted to a vectorial path.
A proposition for both faces
The same, exported as a PNG file by Inkscape (at 60 ppi):
How to distribute Freeduc-USB 2.0
during events: which price ? how do we promote it ? (flyers, poster)
from our website:
- already installed on a USB stick with our logo (which price, how promoted, how posted?)
- as an image and an installer (do we require membership?)
- as a bittorrent feed (how do we ensure security?)